ANM Curriculum intends to prepare skilled and effective female health workers to achieve the goals of National Rural Health Mission which aims at bringing about dramatic improvement in the health system and health status Of the country. ANM/FHW in community health skills to practice health care at a defined level of proficiency in accordance with local conditions and to meet local needs. Further, the programme fits into the general educational pattern as well as nursing education system.
The purpose of the ANM/FHW course is to prepare an ANM to function at community level/village with specific skills to fulfill the health needs of the community. She will be an active link between the community and the health care system.
On completion of the course, the ANM/FHW will be able to:
- Appreciate the concept of holistic health and understand the influence of socioeconomic and environmental factors on the health status of the community.
- Identify health problems/ needs and resources in the community and mobilize social support for active participation of the community in health care activities.
- Provide preventive, promotive, restorative and emergency health care to individuals and community as required.
- Provide treatment of minor ailments.
- Provide skilled midwifery services to all mothers in the community and refer neonates and mother at risk to hospitals.
- Provide skilled care to all neonates in community and refer neonates at risk to the appropriate levels.
- Render skilled child care services at home, clinic and school.
- Guide/ Train birth attendants, Anganwadi workers (AWW)s, other community health activists and volunteers.
- Provide need-based information and counseling related to health of individuals, family and groups.
- Participate in all the National health and family welfare programmes at community level.
- Act as team member in the health care delivery system.
- Coordinate and collaborate with the other health team member and community based organizations, non-govt. organizations (NGO) and village administration.
- Mange the health centre including equipments and supplies ,and maintain the records in the order to provide quality bases people friendly services.
- Updates Knowledge and skills for professional and personal growth.